To honor overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) has opened their call for nominations for the 2019 Model OFW Family of the Year Awards (MOFYA).
This is just one of the many ways OWWA is showing its continuous support and services to OFWS by giving importance to their success. It also recognizes the significant contributions of OFWs and their unwavering support to their families in the pursuit of a better life.
OWWA stressed that the annual search focuses on OFW families who are persistently working towards professional and educational advancement, financial success and stability, positive community involvement and most importantly, maintaining family unity and solidarity amidst the challenges they face.
The press release from OWWA states that two (2) outstanding OFW families per region (one each for the Land-based and Sea-based Category) will be chosen as Regional Winners, and only two winners per category will be determined as grand winners for the national level.
The criteria of the selection process include the following:
- Wholesome OFW Family (50%);
- Civic/Community Involvement of OFW and Family (20%);
- Success in OFW and/or Family member/s education or profession (20%); and
- Success in Managing Family Finances (10%);
To qualify, nominees should comply with the following requirements:
- The OFW, either single or married and with proof of OWWA membership, should head the family & may be presently employed overseas or former OFW;
- The OFW should have at least 4 years of work experience abroad; that he/she has returned to the country for good for no longer than 10 years of the time of nomination;
- The OFW family is known as a solid/stable family in the locality;
- The OFW family should be financially stable; and
- The OFW family is actively involved in community projects
OWWA further announced that the group who may nominate an OFW family that meets the qualifications must be any of the following: registered Non-Government Organization (NGOs); Peoples organization (POs); Religious organization or association; Community-based socio-civic organization/associations; and OFW Family Circle (OFCs). Nominations from overseas may be accepted provided the family of the nominee is in the Philippines. No individual nomination shall be accepted.
Nomination forms and other details of the 2019 MOFYA are available at OWWA Regional Welfare Offices, and may be downloaded from the OWWA website www.owwa.gov.ph.