Overseas Filipino Workers who have been members of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration for the past ten years and have not availed of any benefits from the OWWA Fund are now eligible to get rebates.
According to the OWWA Act or Section 54 of Republic Act No. 10801, a rebate or financial assistance may be granted to an OFW who is an eligible OWWA member for at least ten years and not availed of any services or benefits from OWWA.
OWWA Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac said that the amount of the rebate will be determined based on the actuarial study conducted within the first six months of 2017. This has been announced on OWWA’s official Facebook post as well.
We are still targeting to finish it by the end of the year but just to be on the safe side, hindi na ito lalagpas ng first quarter of the next year. The (Labor) secretary has always wanted to get things done so we will work hard to have this done by the end of the year.
Crucial po yung magkano. Kasi we want to make sure na una hindi masyadong maliit. At pangalawa, hindi ko naman masabing hind masyadong malaki, pero yung sigurado tayong kakayanin ng pondo.
So please bear we with us. We don’t want to bear the mistake of rushing and then biglang hindi pala kaya. So we want to make sure na pag-announce namin. Yung talaga ang tamang halaga.
Pls disseminate this advisory in your respective FB PAGE.
What If I Can’t Continue Paying My Membership?
For OFWs who still want to continue paying their membership because of contract termination, there is still an option for you to pay for the fees.
If the employment contract has been prematurely terminated, OFWs can also avail of the benefits from OWWA due to his 2-years membership for $25 membership contribution. Even if you are not in abroad anymore and the contract has finished, you can still be a member of OWWA and avail the benefits for two years. This membership can be renewed at the end of the two-year period.
One-Time Financial Assistance Through MEDplus
In cooperation with Philhealth, OFWs will be entitled to a supplemental medical assistance offered by OWWA called OFW MEDplus. By presenting your hospital records, you can avail of a one-time financial assistance, with the maximum amount of P50,000. This is available to active OWWA and Philhealth members who are diagnosed with or subsequently hospitalized as a result of a dreaded disease, whether in the Philippines or abroad.
This program will be implemented throughout the 18 regional offices all over the Philippines. It can be availed of by OFWs themselves or qualified dependent/s in the Philippines in case of death or OFW is still abroad.
Benefits of MEDplus
- The amount of financial assistance will not exceed P50,000 per member for one dreaded disease.
- Supplements the existing benefits of Philhealth and shall cover medical and surgical procedures for such dreaded disease. This means aside from what you can get from Philhealth, you can get an additional P50,000 medical assistance.
- Subsequent availment of financial assistance is allowed, as long as it doesn’t exceed the P50,000 limit and it will be used for the same dreaded disease originally applied for.
Applying for MEDplus
You must submit the following requirements to the nearest OWWA Regional Office:
- Duly accomplished MEDplus application form
- Original copy of Philhealth Benefit Payment Notice (BPN), which shows actual payments made by Philhealth regarding your confinement or availment
- One passport-size picture
- Proof of OWWA membership contribution
- Waiver from the claimant allowing OWWA to access Philhealth records for MEDplus purposes
- Medical record and Statement of Account in case OFW is confined overseas
- Special Power of Attorney (SPA) executed by OFW if OFW is abroad and the claimant is next-of-kin.
- If the OFW is dead, the claimant must submit an authenticated Death Certificate of the OFW and marriage or birth certificate to prove relationship to the OFW