Government Drops MIASCOR Over Luggage Theft

President Duterte personally handled the case and ordered the termination of the services from MIASCO.

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) will no longer renew its contact with the ground handling services provider, MIASCOR Aviation Services, after its expiration on March 31, 2018. This is following the luggage theft incidents made by the MIASCOR employees.

To Vacate NAIA Soon

Last Friday, January 19, MIAA General Manager Eddie Monreal wrote a letter to the president of MIASCOR, Fidel Herman Reyes, to vacate the premises it occupies at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport within 60 days.

After MIASCOR’s contract expired March last year, Monreal said that the government has been entering a month-to-month contract with the company. The decision not to renew the contract with MIASCOR was reached after the incidents of pilferage as well as orders from President Duterte himself.

Although the number of pilferage cases has been reduced to seven from last year’s 26, Monreal said that the government is aiming to bring it to zero.

Carrier to Choose Their Own

After MIASCOR stops its operations, carriers can choose from other services providers. Carriers served by MIASCOR include Cebu Pacific, Qantas Airways, Malaysia Airlines, Asiana Airlines, and Air Hong Kong.

There will be several changes, as ordered by the president himself. Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said that the personnel in charge of handling the badges would no longer be allowed to use uniforms with pockets as well as shoes or boots that are loose. They will also not be allowed to bring or use cell phones while on duty or wear any pieces of jewelry.

According to Philstar, MIASCOR will still appeal to President Duterte.

We shall formally issue an appeal to the President to kindly reconsider his position on behalf of our almost 4,000 regular employees and their families who will be affected.

The six employees involved in the incident were already terminated and criminal and administrative charges were filed against them.

President Duterte also ordered airport officials to produce 100 cameras. These cameras will be installed even in bathrooms, except for the women’s. He ordered an immediate action to ensure that no luggage will be stolen.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.