The Department of Labor and Employment has ordered the suspension of deployment of Filipinos to work in Kuwait after seven Filipinos died in the country recently.
With the DOLE Administrative Order No. 25-2018, Secretary Silvestre Bello III said that the deployment of Overseas Filipino Workers, both returning and new hires, has been stopped. According to DOLE Information and Publication Service director Raul Francia, the order will take effect immediately while the investigation regarding the death of the seven OFWs is still ongoing.
Bello also ordered the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration to stop processing the overseas certificates of Kuwait-bound workers.
Not the Most Effective Strategy
According to the president of the Philippine Association of Accredited Agencies to Kuwait Amanda Araneta, a deployment ban is not the most effective strategy to stop household service workers from going to the Middle East. She stated that the deaths of the two workers were all accidents since they suffocated in their homes because of a charcoal heaters used during the cold winter.
The death of the other OFW was linked to a love triangle while the other one was a suicide case.
Araneta said that the deployment ban will only lead to OFWs being trafficked by illegal recruitment syndicates which are very active in the country.
To Be Discussed
The Department of Foreign Affairs said earlier that they will discuss the alleged abuses of Filipinos in Kuwait with the country’s ambassador before deciding whether or not the total deployment ban will be implemented.
I think on Monday our undersecretary and assistant secretary will be talking to the ambassador regarding the statement of the president.
I’m expecting a good response from the ambassador but of course we have to see the response translate into action, meaning protection of our OFWs.
What do you think? Should a total ban be implemented?